Users of the UrbanGrowth NSW site are entitled to expect that any information collected as a result of that use will be treated within the terms of the New South Wales government's privacy responsibilities and obligations. UrbanGrowth NSW's policy is to treat your privacy in line with the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (PPIPA) and the NSW Health Records & Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIPA).
What information do we collect?
Information volunteered by you, such as comments and enquiries which contain your contacts and email addresses, is used only for internal purposes and is not shared with people or organisations outside UrbanGrowth NSW without your permission.
When you look at the pages on UrbanGrowth NSW's site, our computers automatically record information that identifies for each page accessed:
- the IP (internet protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it
- your top-level domain name (e.g. .com, .gov, .au, .uk, etc)
- the address of your server
- the date and time of your visit to the site
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded
- the previous site visited
- the type of browser and operating system you have used
- cookies are used from UrbanGrowth NSW's website to collect information
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information to identify patterns of usage of the site. This assists us in improving the UrbanGrowth NSW site and the services it offers.
What exceptions are there to this rule?
UrbanGrowth NSW will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published UrbanGrowth NSW pages
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the UrbanGrowth NSW site
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the UrbanGrowth NSW site by other sites
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the UrbanGrowth NSW site
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed, and
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the UrbanGrowth NSW site by other users.
UrbanGrowth NSW reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the UrbanGrowth NSW site raises a suspicion that an offence is being or has been committed.
In the event of an investigation, UrbanGrowth NSW will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Is the information stored securely?
Yes. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by UrbanGrowth NSW for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected, it is deleted.
What will we do with information provided in feedback?
UrbanGrowth NSW provides a feedback option on the UrbanGrowth NSW site to allow users to provide input into the future development of the site and to comment on the provision of service by UrbanGrowth NSW. The provision of personal details on feedback is optional.
Users may provide personal details for the purpose of receiving a reply to their feedback. This information will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided. We will not add your email address or name to any mailing list.
UrbanGrowth NSW may publish aggregated information about feedback on the site, to the extent that is does not identify or cannot be used to identify individual users.
Who else has access to information within UrbanGrowth NSW?
UrbanGrowth NSW captures this information on a secure, externally hosted computer. Access to the raw data is restricted to a limited number of officers in UrbanGrowth NSW for the purpose of analysis and to report our success in meeting our communication and access objectives. The officers who access this data are the members of the UrbanGrowth NSW Information Technology and Marketing and Communications team.
If you would like to access information held about you by UrbanGrowth NSW, please contact the Right to Information and Privacy Officer on 9841 8626 or the Manager Information Technology, UrbanGrowth NSW: Level 14, 60 Station Street, Parramatta NSW, phone (02) 9841 8600.
Will this policy be updated over time?
Due to the evolving nature of privacy principles for online communication, this policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. Any amended policy will be posted to this site and will operate from the time it is posted.